Leipzig’s M. OELSNER music shop is one of the oldest specialist music shops in Germany. The business was founded in 1860 as an antiquarian bookshop in the centre of Leipzig – a city whose commercial significance intersected with its importance for both the music world and the book trade. In 1880, Maximilian Oelsner became the sole proprietor and ran the business as a music shop from 1884. The sole proprietor since 1960 has been Michael Rosenthal – Maximilian Oelsner’s great-grandson, who has continued to run the business privately as sole trader through GDR times until today. The musicians of the Gewandhaus Orchestra, the MDR Symphony Orchestra, their famous guests from all over the world, as well as the city’s local musicians and music students, all treasure the ever-rarer, extraordinary atmosphere of M. OELSNER music shop.